Sunday, August 17, 2014

Sosa's 10 min Southwest Sunday Soup

Homemade Southwestern Sunday Soup

Earlier this week I noticed Williams-Sonoma was having their "Celebrating the Harvest: Apples" technique class today, so last night I called up and snagged us a spot for 10a.m. this morning. (And anyone that knows me, knows this would be a challenge for me.) So, we got up and out and we were there 40 min before they were even open!  The class was wonderful, and my next attempt after our vacation will be homemade apple sauce.

So you say what do apples have to do with a Southwestern Soup? Nothing, other than the fact that I bought my Professional Series 750 Vitamix from Williams-Sonoma, and the manager was asking me what all I've made in it, and we started talking about soups and afterwards my husband said, let's try it when we get home!
So...

Within 10 min of getting home and only using 10 common ingredients found in most pantries, we were eating a healthy, filling and most importantly a quick soup!



Servings: Makes 2 servings

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 2 Cups Hot Water (Boiled if not using a Vitamix with the preset "hot soup" feature)
  • 1 Celery Stalk
  • 1 Tomato 
  • 1 Carrot
  • 1 tsp Better Than Bouillon - Organic
  • 1 tsp Southwest Spice Blend (I used Blend it Up!)
  • Tortilla Chips (about 6-7; and then some for garnish)
  • Cilantro (I pinched off a small handful because we like it; can also be omitted)
  • Black pepper (to taste)
  • Salt (to taste)
Instructions:
  1. Put first 7 ingredients in the Vitamix, no chopping necessary, it will blend it all up!
  2. Turn dial to  preset Hot Soup function and start cycle.
  3. Add a handful of tortilla chips and desired amount of cilantro, along with fresh grated black pepper and salt and turn dial to 1 and pulse just enough to chop and integrate the chips and cilantro.
  4. Serve with additional cilantro and chips to garnish.  Enjoy!

Variation Note:  Add chicken, corn or even black beans for a more chunky soup.  You can also add jalapenos for an added kick!

I'm not [usually] a fan of soups, but boy was this really good!  If you like tortilla soup, this is "kind of" like it only there's no chicken, no cheese and very quick and healthy.  I'm already thinking of my next soup will be! (Although, hubby hinted I need to try making a pumpkin soup... hmmm...)

~Elise

No comments: